Microtiter Plate Mass Sample Preparation by Ultrasonication
Mass Sample Preparation with the Ultrasonicator UIP400MTP
Microtiter plates and 96-well plates are tools for the simultaneously handling and processing a large number of samples. As its name “96-well plate” already indicates, micro-well plates have 96 wells and can hold thereby 96 individual samples. Sample preparation before analysis, e.g. before cell-based assays (such as ELISA or PCR) requires cell lysis, cell disruption as well as protein extraction and releasing other targeted intracellular molecules. Ultrasonic cell lysis and extraction is a long-time and well established method of high-quality sample preparation. Ultrasonic cell lysis and protein extraction is performed in accordance to protocols and gives thereby repeatable and reliable results. The mass-sample ultrasonicator UIP400MTP is a 400 watts powerful ultrasonic system that couples the ultrasonic waves indirectly through the walls of the multi-well plates into the sample medium. Each of the 96 sample wells is sonicated with the exactly same ultrasonic intensity resulting in superior cell lysis and extraction yields.
- Uniform sonication of 96 samples
- Simultaneous mass sample preparation
- Precisely controllable sonication parameters (amplitude, duration, cycle, temperature)
- Reproducible, repeatable results
- Convenient and safe operation
Precise Temperature Control During Microtiter Plate Sonication
The UIP400MTP is a 400 watts powerful ultrasonicator, which transmits ultrasound waves and vibrations indirectly through the walls of the microtiter plate into the samples and creates cavitation and shear forces in the medium. As all mechanical cell disruption methods, sonication creates heat. However, in contrast to alternative cell disruption methods, the UIP400MTP allows for sophisticated temperature monitoring and pre-setting of temperature limits to prevent any thermal degradation of the biological samples.
The UIP400MTP is equipped with a smart software. Via the digital touch screen, the menu can be easily accessed to pre-set temperature limits and to program the total energy input for your sample run.
Monitoring the sample temperature: The MultiSample Ultrasonicator UIP400MTP is equipped with an intelligent software and a pluggable temperature sensor. Plug the temperature sensor into the UIP400MTP and insert the tip of the temperature sensor in one of the microtiter wells. Via digital coloured touch-display, you can set in the menu of the UIP400MTP a specific temperature range for your sample sonication. The ultrasonicator will automatically stop when the max temperature is reached and pause until the sample temperature is down to the lower value of the set temperature ∆. Then the sonication starts automatically again. This smart feature prevents heat-induced degradation.
If possible, you might pre-cool the microtiter plate and its samples to postpone reaching the critical temperature limit.
Customers worldwide use the Hielscher UIP400MTP for the reliable, reproducible and convenient preparation of mass samples in multi-well plates. The UIP400MTP facilitates their daily work in biological, biochemical, life science, medical and clinical laboratories. With the intelligent software and temperature control of the Hielscher UIP400MTP, temperature is reliably controlled and heat-induced sample degradation avoided. Ultrasonic sample preparation with Hielscher Ultrasonics’ UIP400MTP delivers highly reliable and reproducible results!
Request your free information package including applications and price for the UIP400MTP be filling the form below or contacting us via email or phone today!
Looking for an ultrasonic system to process higher volumes? The table below gives you an indication of the approximate processing capacity of our ultrasonicators:
The table below gives you an indication of the approximate processing capacity of our ultrasonic systems from compact hand-held homogenizers and MultiSample Ultrasonicators to industrial ultrasonic processors for commercial applications:
|Batch Volume||Flow Rate||Recommended Devices|
|96-well / microtiter plates||n.a.||UIP400MTP|
|10 vials à 0.5 to 1.5mL||n.a.||VialTweeter at UP200St|
|0.01 to 250mL||5 to 100mL/min||UP50H|
|0.01 to 500mL||10 to 200mL/min||UP100H|
|10 to 2000mL||20 to 400mL/min||UP200Ht, UP400St|
|0.1 to 20L||0.2 to 4L/min||UIP2000hdT|
|10 to 100L||2 to 10L/min||UIP4000hdT|
|n.a.||10 to 100L/min||UIP16000|
|n.a.||larger||cluster of UIP16000|
Contact Us! / Ask Us!
Literature / References
- Chen J.-X; Cipriani P.G.; Mecenas D.; Polanowska J.; Piano F.; Gunsalus K.C.; Selbach M. (2016): In Vivo Interaction Proteomics in Caenorhabditis elegans Embryos Provides New Insights into P Granule Dynamics. Molecular & Cellular Proteomics 15.5; 2016. 1642-1657.
- LeThanh, H.; Neubauer, P.; Hoffmann, F. (2005): The small heat-shock proteins IbpA and IbpB reduce the stress load of recombinant Escherichia coli and delay degradation of inclusion bodies. Microb Cell Fact 4, 6; 2005.
- Martínez-Gómez A.I.; Martínez-Rodríguez S.; Clemente-Jiménez J.M.; Pozo-Dengra J.; Rodríguez-Vico F.; Las Heras-Vázquez F.J. (2007): Recombinant polycistronic structure of hydantoinase process genes in Escherichia coli for the production of optically pure D-amino acids. Appl Environ Microbiol. 73(5); 2007. 1525-1531.
- Kotowska M.; Pawlik K.; Smulczyk-Krawczyszyn A.; Bartosz-Bechowski H.; Kuczek K. (2009): Type II Thioesterase ScoT, Associated with Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2) Modular Polyketide Synthase Cpk, Hydrolyzes Acyl Residues and Has a Preference for Propionate. Appl Environ Microbiol. 75(4); 2009. 887-896.
Facts Worth Knowing
What are Microtiter Plates?
Microtiter plates, also known as 96-well plates, 96-well microplates, multi-well plates or ELISA plates, are rectangular multi-well plates, which are widely used in laboratories to process cultured cells, cellular samples. Microtiter plates are commonly used in manifold assays such as ELISA and PCR. Most 96-well plates are designed for high-throuput workflows and are compatible with analytical instruments and robotic handling and processing. Therefore multiple variants such as fully skirted plates suitable for robotic platforms, non-skirted, semi-skirted, and bar-coded plates adapted to mass sample processing are available.
Common use of microtiter plates include applications such as sample collection, compound preparation, combinatorial chemistry, high throughput screening, nucleic acid purification, bacterial culture growth, and plate replication.